This week’s Five Ingredient Friday could not be simpler, or more delicious: Chicken Tenders breaded with panko, bacon and cheddar. Bacon and Cheddar Breaded Chicken Tenders will surely become a staple in your menu rotation.
Honestly, these chicken tenders that are baked to golden-brown-crispy-goodness are to die for good. And they are simple, simple to prepare! They certainly make the statement, “Everything is better with bacon,” complete and true fact.
In about 3o minutes, you can transform bland and boring chicken tenders into these beautiful, tasty morsels. While you can certainly use pre-cooked bacon for ease and speed, I took four slices of thick-cut bacon, diced it and crisped it in a skillet. The crispy bacon pieces, along with grated cheddar cheese and panko crumbs (a Japanese style of bread crumbs that retain a crispy texture – they can be found in most grocery stores in the International Foods aisle), are put into a ziplock bag. Then, all you do is dunk the chicken tenders in a beaten egg and toss them in the coating in the bag.*
In just 15-25 minutes in the oven on a baking sheet (depending on the size of your tenders), you have dinner ready. A quick tossed salad on the side and you’re ready to sit down to a meal.
The tenders have only five ingredients and they are:
- Panko crumbs
- Bacon bits
- Cheddar cheese
- Chicken tenders
I served ours with a side of homemade buttermilk Ranch dressing, but I’m betting honey mustard would be delicious too. Heck, they are great without anything on them. You really need to give this chicken tender recipe a try.
p.s.: If you are unable to find Panko crumbs in your local grocery, here is a link a method for making them at home.
p.p.s.: Note: A trick to making them pretty is to take some of the bacon cheese crumbs from the bag and press them onto the top of the chicken once they are placed on the baking sheet. The cheese will melt and “glue” the bacon bits down so they are stable when you turn the chicken.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup bacon bits
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1½ pounds chicken tenders, uncooked, not breaded
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray (or lightly oil)
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg.
- Measure the panko, bacon bits and cheese and place in a ziplock bag.
- Seal the bag and shake to mix the ingredients.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg, then toss in the bag of breading mixture.
- Remove the chicken and place on the baking sheet.
- Once all the pieces are coated and on the baking sheet, place the sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 15-25 minutes (depending on the size of your tenders), turn them once during the cook time and continue to bake until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the coating is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.