This simple salad of Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil is just perfect for this time of year. It’s tomato season and who can resist the vine-ripened beauties? This “recipe” is also five ingredients…so, another Five Ingredient Friday is here!
Of course, I’ve been on a tomato kick lately. I just cannot stress enough my love of this luscious summer fruit; this salad is one of my favourite ways to consume my daily portion of tomato heaven.
Originally from Italy, Insalata Caprese is simply “salad in the style of Capri.” Traditionally served as an antipasto, Caprese Salad can be a great side dish addition to your summer eating for many reasons:
- It requires no heat.
- It could not be simpler to assemble.
- Tomatoes are at their prime.
- Basil is readily available.
- It is delicious.
Fresh basil leaves are a must for this salad, in my view…and summer is a great time to be able to find it in your local market, if you don’t grow it yourself. Also, most grocery stores now also carry fresh mozzarella. You can generally find it in the specialty cheese section of the stores; it is so much better for this salad than block mozzarella.
As I said, Insalata Caprese cannot be easier to put together, and it’s only five ingredients! As I have assembled it, they are:
- Basil Leaves
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Marinated Black Olives
Normally, Insalata Caprese is drizzled with olive oil. I love it with balsamic vinegar. So, I got my olive oil with the addition of the marinated black olives. Love, love, love olives!
So, throw one of these incredible little salads together soon, while the tomatoes are still glorious!
- Ripe Tomatoes, sliced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
- Fresh Basil Leaves (either whole, or sliced in a chiffonade style)
- Marinated Black Olives, scattered on the plate
- Assemble the salad on a plate in the order given above.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.