This Smoked Salmon Smørrebrød recipe is my contribution to this month’s Fish Friday Foodies theme of Summer Fish and Seafood Sandwiches. Whole rye bread slathered with a cream cheese/sour cream/dill/horseradish spread, piled high with cold smoked salmon, red salmon caviar, dill, radishes and cucumbers, this Danish open-faced sandwich is perfect for the hot days of summer ahead.
This month’s theme for Fish Friday Foodies is hosted by Colleen at Faith Love Hope and Luck. Thanks so much, Colleen, for a great theme.
When she suggested fish and seafood sandwiches I knew I wanted to do a cold sandwich. This is the time of year when the weather turns really awful and humid around our parts, and rather than heating up the kitchen with indoor cooking, we are using our smoker, grill, or preparing cold meals, like this sandwich!
A Smørrebrød is Danish and normally starts with a piece of buttered rye bread, which is then piled with toppings to create an individual masterpiece. These sandwiches are usually created in a family style setting, with the various toppings on offer passed around the table for individuals to choose their own combinations. Since they are heaped up, open-face, the sandwiches are eaten with utensils.
Starting out, I couldn’t just settle for butter as my spread. Instead, I used a combination of cream cheese, sour cream, horseradish and fresh dill. Since I was planning to use cold smoked salmon, I was looking for something reminiscent of a bagel and lox, but smoother. The combination of cream cheese and sour cream is nice and spreadable; filled with flavor of the horseradish and dill.
Topped with super-thin slices of radish and cucumber, sprinkled with more fresh dill and red salmon caviar, this sandwich was the perfect combination of flavors and textures; great for Summer dining at either lunch, brunch, or supper.
I hope you’ll try it! And be sure to check out all the other offerings of Summer Fish and Seafood Sandwiches in the links below.
- 6 Whole Rye Bread Slices (I used an imported German Rye, but any rye or dark bread would work)
- 12 ounces thin-sliced cold smoked salmon
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pure horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill leaves (plus more for garnish)
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Additional garnish: thinly sliced radishes, cucumbers, red salmon caviar (optional)
- FOR THE SPREAD:
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the cream cheese and sour cream and pulse until smooth.
- Add the horseradish and dill and pulse until combined.
- Add salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
- Remove the spread to a bowl.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES:
- Spread a slice of the rye bread with the cream cheese mixture.
- Add about 2 ounces of smoked salmon slices.
- Sprinkle on the garnishes of radishes, cucumber, dill and caviar.
- Serve immediately.