Spinach Artichoke Dip is one of the most frequently seen appetizer dips on restaurant menus all over. There is a reason for this, and that would be because it is delicious. I’ll put this dip up against any you have ever had…if I don’t eat it all first. Honestly, you must try it.
The combination of spinach and artichokes is one of my very favourite vegetable flavour medleys; there is something about the two together that makes my taste buds smile. Last year, I posted my recipe for Smoky Spinach Artichoke Hummus, which I like to think of as the “guilt-free” version of the dip I’m posting here. Both are really good, but this Spinach Artichoke Dip is divine. And it’s simple to make. And it will be a crowd pleaser.
Served warm, it is great with corn tortilla chips, crackers or crusty bread; a crudite platter would never go wrong with it. I have used it as a spread for sandwiches, and it could also used as a topping for meats, as a filling for enchiladas, or even tossed with some pasta. The possibilities are endless, really.
Today happens to be the day for the NFL championship games, so it would be absolutely perfect to whip up for a game-night snack. I’ve got the fire going in the fireplace, and I’m preparing all of our noshing foods for this afternoon and evening; this is the centerpiece of the coffee table snack spread.
You make some too!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 - 10 ounce packages chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of all water.
- 1 - 8.5 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, diced
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt to taste
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise and stir until the cream cheese is melted.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Serve warm in a bowl with tortilla chips, crusty bread, and/or fresh vegetables.