In the Saucy household, we both love broccoli and cauliflower. This salad, being ever so versatile, makes for a great way for us to enjoy two of our favourite vegetables in a multitude of ways. The ingredients are tossed with a basic slaw dressing that is excellent to use for many other salads as well.
I have several variations of this salad that I make; I’m including two of them in this post so you can see how adaptable it is to suit your tastes. The first version has onion, bacon and sesame seeds; the second version has onion, bacon, grape halves and toasted almond slivers. Both versions are tossed with the same simple, basic slaw dressing that is slightly tart and slightly sweet.
I’ll admit it: sometimes I am lazy. Very lazy. So, occasionally, I will take advantage of the bags of mixed broccoli and cauliflower pieces which can be found in the packaged salad section of most grocery stores. Those little bags of pre-washed, pre-cut broccoli and cauliflower sure do make this salad easy to throw together.
The main ingredients of this salad can be prepared WAY ahead and stored in the refrigerator to be dressed at the last-minute. Leftovers are delicious, but I do save some additional crispy bacon bits to add to any I eat the next day.
The slaw dressing is just the most basic, and can be used on any slaw or other salads you make. Don’t buy that bottled stuff that is filled with high-fructose corn syrup again! If you like your dressing more tart, add some extra vinegar; if you like your dressing sweeter, add a titch more sugar. It’s simple to change it up to suit you. Just like the salad ingredients, you can truly make this your own.
So, make this salad.
- 3 cups broccoli heads, broken into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups cauliflower heads, broken into bite-sized pieces
- ½ small onion, minced
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced, crisped and drained
- VERSION 1:
- 1 tablespoon black (or regular toasted) sesame seeds
- VERSION 2:
- 1½ cups grapes, halved
- ⅓ cup toasted almond slivers
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Place all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Just prior to serving, pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to combine.