I love whimsy…or in this case, whim-sea….or even whim-see! Of course, given the nature of the business Mr. Saucy and I own, I have a million things fish related, so I had to be whimsical with this Smoked Salmon Dip recipe tray. This is day three of my super Super Bowl snacks and this one is a particular favorite! Different from your normal Super Bowl dips, simple to prepare, ever so tasty, versatile as a dip for crackers or vegetables or even as a spread for your favorite bagel, this dip is a must-have! Whimsy, or not.
It was on a whim (I swear I’ll stop this soon) that I decided to come up with a Smoked Salmon Dip. Mr. Saucy and I both really, really love smoked salmon and I happened to have some in the refrigerator.
My favorite bagel combination of cream cheese and smoked salmon were the basis for the dip. Then, in order to make it creamy, I added some sour cream. Dill is a natural with smoked salmon so I added some dried dill weed, since my Wee Kitchen Garden herbs are under a blanket of snow and fresh herbs are hard to come by at my local market.
Then, I thought I might like some horseradish, so I added that, too. A mild onion flavor was obtained with the addition of some freeze-dried chives. Stirring all of this together in a bowl, this dip is ready in just ten minutes!
When I entertain, my friends have learned to expect the unexpected, and this dip as a Super Bowl snack certainly fits that bill. Make it, serve it, and I guarantee your Super Bowl snacking will go…swimmingly. Errhmmm. *big smile* And yes, it’s great for snacking any time!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed
- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried chives
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, diced
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cream cheese, sour cream, horseradish, dill weed, chives, salt and ground black pepper.
- Stir to mix well and smooth the cream cheese.
- Fold in the diced smoked salmon.
- Serve with crackers, fresh vegetables, or with toasted bagels.